May 20, 2009

Canon PowerShot SD990IS

As a startup amateur photographer, I have owned a lot of point and shoot cameras during the last few months. I finally settled on this PowerShot SD990IS model, and it seems the best one I have seen so far.
Face detection is a feature that everybody is thrilled about in any camera. Add a self timer to this feature and you've got a feature every point and shoot camera owner must have used at least once. And, indeed, face detection works great with this 990, perhaps even better than with any other camera I've seen, as long as I shoot indoors. However, if I want to take a group shot outside, and the sun is shining brightly, problems start to pop in: faces get improperly lit, colors get distorted, and other dreadful effects. Also, from time to time only one face is detected out of the whole group. So I have to either take the shot like it is, or move everyone to another location, like under a tree. Pretty annoying, isn't it?
The image sensor can take up to a whopping 14.7 megapixels. However, you aren't likely to be using anything above 10, since, at this resolution, problems start to kick in. For example, you will get a noisy picture at an ISO of as little as 250 if you go above 10MP.
The colors produced are great. Pictures look natural, almost "too real". Most Canon models I played with will get too vivid colors that sometimes require post processing. And I don't know about you, but I take pictures at picnics for fun, to share memories with my friends, I don't want to work on each of the 300 shots I take in one afternoon only to adjust the color balance. What do you think?
To wrap it up, this Canon is a great model, it comes with a set of features that are quite nice and useful when they work as they should. The huge amount of megapixels is outrageous, simply because I wasn't able to take one decent shot at maximum resolution. I would personally consider this is a marketing hype, to boost sales: there are still people who consider that the more MP's a camera has, the better it is and also the more money it's worth. This is obviously not true, and Canon PowerShot SD990IS is here to support this.
Getting the perfect camera, is never an easy thing, especially with the way digital technology is constantly changing. Fortunately, there are plenty of helpful websites online, that can narrow down your search and help you find the camera with all the features important to you.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Chris_Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment